HOSPITAL FIRE & LIFE SAFETY CLASSES
The Important Fire Safety Measures in the Hospitals
Fire safety is an important norm that needs to be considered during the construction of a hospital. Compared to the general buildings, it is a tough task to evacuate the people from the hospitals. It is unfortunate there are still a few hospitals in which fire safety is still the words written on the water surface.
The hospital training and learning arm to blame that most of the hospital staff do not have awareness of fire safety and the steps that need to be employed in the face of calamity. And, the highly dependent and immovable patients make it a difficult task to evacuate the hospital building in a rush.
Hospitals and other healthcare facilities need to focus more on easy and safe evacuation methods. The healthcare practices are responsible for the safety and security of the people inside the hospital and they are expected to adhere to the legally approved fire safety measures.
The Emergency Management Plan (EMP) should be kept current so that it stands the unexpected occurrence of a fire in a hospital. Here are a few fire safety measures of a hospital that are proven to be effective.
- A Detailed Action Plan – The fire accidents leave no room for thinking. A detailed action plan that has answers to all questions and needs will save time for thinking and help you to react instantly in the right way. Involve all the departments of the hospital in the brief of this action plan.
- Establish the Incident Command Structure – Communication has vital importance in reducing the damage caused by a fire accident. Establish a functional incident command structure that has groups and subgroups. These groups and subgroups form a tree of communication and follow the instruction of the group leader.
- Instructions for a Fire Safety Management Team – Involving the Fire Safety Management team in the hospital planning and opening the gates of communication with this team well advance will reduce the damage caused by the fire accident. Keep the communication loop always open with the Fire Safety Management team will keep the damage to a minimum.
- Fire Safety Evacuation Aids – Hospital evacuation is a challenging task and the fire safety evacuation aids will help you in this regard. There are many types of evacuation aids available in today’s market. Equip your hospital with evacuation mats and sheets that could hold the patient firmly while sliding to a safer location.
- Fire Fighting Equipment in Check – The firefighting equipment that includes smoke detectors, fire alarms, emergency exit signals, fire extinguishers, and other fire fighting equipment should always be in check. Conduct a performance check while doing the fire drills to ensure the response in the face of danger.
- Mock Drills and Fire Safety Training – This aspect has vital importance in reducing the damage and saving lives during a fire accident. Ensure all your staff members are undergoing the fire safety training programs and participating in the mock drills. This not only creates a responsive and reliable team in case of a fire but also establishes a safe and secured atmosphere that prevents fire accidents.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! List down the hazards that could lead to fire accidents and keep the system aware of the fire hazards and their preventive methods.
With all the oxygen cylinders and electronic equipment, hospitals always carry a high-risk badge for fire accidents. Ensure your whole system is involved in fire prevention by taking measures of fire prevention, ensuring the fire safety equipment is intact and functional, staff who have undergone the fire safety training, and are reliable during an emergency.
Ratings & Reviews with pictures
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh