Provides a film that is highly resistant to cracking, peeling, blistering, weathering, chalking & erosion.
Best for use in
Smooth or rough sawn exterior vertical wood surfaces such as: Plywood, Fences, Patio Covers, Shingles, Shakes, Siding, Laminates, Barns and Masonry & Stucco Surfaces.
1st Coat 200-400 Sq.Ft.; 2nd Coat 250-500 Sq. Ft.
Where to Use
Recommended for smooth or rough sawn exterior vertical wood surfaces such as: Plywood, Fences, Patio Covers, Shingles, Shakes, Siding, Laminates, Barns and Masonry & Stucco Surfaces. DO NOT USE ON HORIZONTAL SURFACES SUBJECT TO FOOT TRAFFIC. Use BEHR PREMIUM Solid Color Waterproofing Stain & Sealer.
The following steps and products are recommended for best results.
- Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper to remove loose wood fibers, latex, oil-based and 100% acrylic coatings on new or weathered wood.
- BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner MUST be used following NO. 64 to clean, brighten & neutralize wood.
- When NO. 64 is not needed, use a product such as NO. 63 to clean and brighten the wood surface and to remove light to medium exterior stains caused by mold, mildew, algae & fungus.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before coating. On new wood, use a product such as NO. 63 to remove mill glaze and open the pores of the wood. Lightly sand to remove remaining wood fibers/fuzz.
- Must apply between 40-90˚F (4.5-32˚C). Do not use if rain is expected within 24 hours. The wood surface must be completely dry before application.
- No primer needed on most woods. However, Redwood, Cedar, Cypress and other “bleeding” woods contain water soluble extractives which may cause discoloration of white and pastel colors; therefore prime the above type woods with one coat of a product such as BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® NO. 436 Exterior Multi-Purpose Primer & Sealer.
- See label for additional instructions. Intermix multiple containers to ensure color uniformity
- Apply with a nylon/polyester brush. On rough-sawn or textured wood apply with a 3/4” (19 mm) long nap roller or high quality airless sprayer.
- For airless spraying use a .015 - .019" tip. Pump Sprayer not recommended. Always back-brush or back-roll during all application methods.
- Keep a wet edge to reduce lapping and help control color uniformity.
- Over application of stain will lead to surface failure including peeling and cracking. Avoid applying stain too heavily.
- Two coats may be necessary for complete hiding. Apply a thinner second coat after the first coat has thoroughly dried.
- For disposal of empty containers and unused product, contact your household refuse collection service.